Monday, July 6, 2009

And we are 11 Months!


Ethan sure is one mobile baby. He is always on the go...crawling, cruising, climbing, and he even stands by himself for a moment or two (before toppling into my arms). I think he is more excited about getting to the walking stage than I am. As a result I am constantly chasing him around. In fact one of his favorite games is getting me to chase him. He will crawl out of a room and stop just past the doorway and peek over at me smiling. Then he will zoom out giggling, expecting me to chase him. If he doesn't hear me coming, he will pause again and then crawl back and stare at me while babbling to make sure I notice him and then zoom off again. I always make exaggerated loud footsteps to let him know I am coming and then grab and toss him gently in the air (his favorite part) before catching him and setting him back on the floor where the chase begins again. Don't worry, I make sure I'm not actually becoming fit with all this working out by eating pints of ice cream every day.

Some other milestones:
-Signing. He can make the sign for no, more (as in more food), hi/bye. He also recognizes some songs and will clap his hands (to 'If you are happy and you know it') and kick his feet (to the hokey pokey) when we start singing.
-Pointing. He now can let us know what he wants by pointing. If we are too slow to respond, he does a full body lunge and grab.
-Follows simple commands. He can roll a ball to us or hand over X when we ask for it.
-Recognizes all his books by name. If we ask him to show us 'Barnaby the Bear' or 'Yummy Yucky' etc. he will crawl over the right book and pick it up and hand it over to us (well, he doesn't really hand it over, he just holds it up and toward us). We only have 6 or 7 books though so this could be a sign that we need to buy more. =P
-New sounds. He says Da Da and it actually refers to Daddy. He also says quack quack (it sounds like gawah gawah) whenever he sees a duck (of which he has many- rubber duckies, stuffed duckies, and his lovey).
-Third tooth!!! Okay, Mr. Ethan got his first two teeth at 2 weeks and 4 months respectively. It only took seven more months before another tooth decided to pop its way out. I think I see more coming however...or maybe it will just take another year before we see tooth number 4.

In other news, our little monkey also loves other kids and has absolutely no fear. I could have told you that when he first learned how to crawl because he always is trying to dive off the bed or slide down the stairs head first. He loves the indoor play structures at the Club because it is all padded and has steps/ramps/slides/tunnels galore and he can crawl/climb around to his hearts content. When he sees a bunch of older kids playing tag what does he do? Not sit and watch that is for sure. He tries to crawl to the middle of the fray and join in the chase (I say try to because of course I am a wet blanket and will not allow him to get trampled). Ethan's way of making friends with other babies? He first crawls over and sits next to them. After this brief introductory period he thinks they are best friends and then feels free to grab their toy or hand or foot or just crawl over their lap. It's the baby version of a sneak attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment